Friday, April 3, 2015

New Maybelline "Black To Black".. One good AND One Peculiar

I hope you're all doing well! As most of my readers and friends know, I love black nail polishes. While grabbing groceries yesterday, I came across Maybelline's new "Black To Black Collection". Click the link to see the goodies I saw..

http://www.maybelline.com/Products/Nail-Makeup/nail-color/Color-Show-Black-To-Black.aspx

There were five kinds of black polish..
· Black Matte 706 (A Black Matte Laquer)
· Patent Black 700 (A Shiny Black Laquer)
· Smokey Black 704 (A Smoky Black Top Coat)
· Corrupted Black 708 (A Textured Black) I got this too. Ehh..
· Black Dust 702 (A Black Microglitter Top Coat) This is great. A couple more coats and it's a base color.

The bottles are .7 ml instead of the usual 14 ml. Pricing is around $2-$4 (in NYC, U.S.).

Let's start with the one I liked, 702 Black Dust. It's a top coat, however after two coats it was getting opaque just like a regular lacquer. The microglitter inside is silver and black primarily. I do like microglitter. Guys.. It's like that Glam Rock look with Steven Tyler and Jim Morrison freedom. With a matte coat on top the effects are incredible. On white, gray and silver, it produces a delicious cookies and cream look. And ladies.. Get some discreet bling from your lovely manicures and wear it to work.

What I love is putting this over any color and following with a matte top coat. It brings out every color. In the picture, 702 is on Revlon 660 (with a matte top), Sally Hansen Triple Shine 360 and by itself (three coats).

I'm not quite sure about how I feel about 708 Corrupted Black just 
yet. In the store's promotion photo, it looked like it had several colors in it. I could have gotten confused. The polish went onto the prepped swatch nail very well and very opaque. You only need one coat. Dry time is quick and the final look is matte black sand over a shiny black coat. I don't suggest using a top coat or you might ruin it. (Polish and swatch are pictured underneath.)


I would wear this for special occasions, Halloween and maybe in a performance.. It's textured (feels like sand paper), and I personally don't really care for textured polish. Since it's mostly matte, it doesn't pick up color like I thought it would. For those looking for a textured, black nail polish, you might like this very much. The finished product is very sturdy and you or a partner might enjoy rubbing your sandy, black nails.

Disclaimer: Maybelline DOES test cosmetics on animals.

No comments:

Post a Comment